'Today I give up the armband'- Neymar steps down as captain after leading Brazil to Rio Olympics glory

Barcelona and Brazil star Neymar has stepped down as captain of the national team after firing them to Olympic gold on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

 Brazil won the gold medal match against Germany after Neymar struck a 25-yard free-kick and then slotted home the winning penalty in a shoot-out. The 24-year-old on Sunday told Brazilian media: ‘Today I stop being a captain.
“I will send a message to Tite [Brazil’s coach] that from now he can look for another captain. Today I have become a champion and I give up the captain’s armband. It was something I received and honored with affection.

“I can’t begin to describe how I feel but I must say I have fulfilled my dream and to have fulfilled it in my home country makes me very proud.”

Neymar also stressed that he knew he was going to get it right when it mattered most during the penalty shoot out.

“When I stepped out to take that kick, I told myself there was no way I m going to miss it.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DCMA PROTECTED